Life after Robotic Prostate Surgery

17 July 2007

If you had robotic surgery, especially for prostate cancer, and want to tell people about your story – this is the blog for you! I also welcome patients having robotic surgery for other urologic cancers and diseases to share their experiences online. Post your comments below (click on comments). Fill out all of the appropriate fields including your name, email address, and comments and then click “Submit.”

19 Responses to ' Life after Robotic Prostate Surgery '

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to ' Life after Robotic Prostate Surgery '.

1. Domenico Luvera said,

on November 17th, 2007 at 9:09 pm

Today, besides being my 41st. wedding anniversary and celebrating the birth of our first granddaughter, I went to NY City for my six months appointment with Dr. Samadi. My PSA continues being (0.1). It’s 2 years after I had my robotic prostatectomy that I’ll say it went with flying colors all the way and I am feeling great. Now, I’m looking to the second stage of my journey at 5 years, with confidence.

Thank God I met you Dr. Samadi and you did my prostate surgery. I want you to know that we think of you as a family member for being a wonderful doctor, gifted surgeon and for the concern and care that you give not only to the patient but to the family as well.

You, your medical team and office staff should be commended for the great job fullfilling all the needs of the patients and his family at the most important time of a man’s life.

May God bless you always and thank you again

Domenico Luvera

2. Save This Page

3. greatfulmarie said,

on November 22nd, 2007 at 4:15 pm

I’m a 71 year old woman with an experience to share. On May 2006 I visited my Urologist for a yearly routine check up. The results of a CT Scan showed a mass on my left kidney. I was told it was necessary to remove my kidney, and this would by done by Laparoscopic Surgery. I informed my urologist that I would seek a second opinion. Upon hearing that he suggested not to wait 4 months.

My second opinion with Dr. David Samadi at Mt. Sinai Hospital proved to be the right decision. He reviewed the previously taken CT Scan and assured me that if surgery was necessary it would be done in a conventional manner with only partial removal of this mass. Dr. Samadi scheduled me for an MRI. His findings showed that the mass had not changed in size, therefore no action would take place at this time. He advised an MRI again in six months. The results were the same. NO CHANGE. It’s been two years and four MRI’s and still there has been no change. I advise anyone with a medical problem to seek a second opinion. I personally am very grateful to Dr. David Samadi and he will always be in my prayers.

4. Save This Page

5. J. Milord said,

on November 26th, 2007 at 10:05 am

Dr. Samadi:

I just wanted to send you a much overdue thank you. I know we speak periodically, however I have never really have taken the time out to formally say thank you for saving my life and my prospective future cancer free. Thanks to you and your invasive prostate cancer treatment I was able to pick up my life from where I left off…however I can do so with more vigor and respect for my quality of life knowing that I was able to beat the odds by placing my care in your hands.

I will always remember your personable demeanor and your professionalism. You have made each and every worry become a distant memory by making me feel comfortable knowing that everything would be just fine. I respect your positive outlook on the bleakest of outcomes. Your confidence has guided me and my family in believing in you and your prostate cancer treatments. I wish there were a million Dr. Samadi’s across the world providing less traumatic robotic surgery for prostate cancer patients.

Aside from having a great facility with state of the art equipment, your staff has provided presidential suite like service to ensure that I was most comfortable before, during and after my surgery. Your greatest service aside from your gift of surgery would have to be your post-op services. Our quarterly visits to monitor my state of health is very one on one and gives me the feeling that you sincerely care that I continue to radiate with the piece of mind that I’m cancer free and I stay that way.

Well they say that you should tell the person you respect and admire what your feeling and thinking when you have the opportunity so I wanted to take the time out just to say Thank You. Thank you for saving my life and giving me the piece of mind that I have a second chance on life. My family and I are always indebted to you. May God bless you, for you are truly a divine gift from God. I will continue on spreading the word of your renowned treatment throughout my community.

6. Save This Page

7. A. Stecker said,

on November 26th, 2007 at 10:12 am

My family has a history of prostate cancer, and I have been taking PSA tests semiannually for years. I am in my early fifties and in pretty good health. When my PSA took a spike I had a prostate biopsy with 8 samples, and everything was negative. After the second PSA spike, my wife insisted that I get a full 20 sample biopsy. The result was that a single sample came out positive.

We went to look for the best doctor available. We found Dr. Samadi.

We called Dr. Samadi and his office was able to make an appointment within a week. We made the appointment for early afternoon and expected to wait for hours. However, within 5 minutes of the appointment time, Dr. Samadi greeted us and brought us in for a consult.

We has a long list of questions which were all anticipated by Dr. Samadi, and he gave my wife and I the greatest assurance that he has handled many cases like mine and that I would be fine.

Dr. Samadi and his staff provided every aspect of pre-surgurical care that I could image and I knew it was the right decision.

The procedure was scheduled a few weeks later. However, I did have a few questions that were answered quickly. When I spoke to the anesthesiologist before the operation, he told me that Dr. Samadi uses the robotic surgery devices better than anyone that he has seen.

The surgery went well. I was released from the hospital the next day. I did have a problem after the operation and called Dr. Samadi office several times during the day and night. He responded very quickly and the problem was resolved. He and his nurses handled the calls with professionalism and compassion. I have healed well and resumed activities quickly.

I would highly recommend Dr. Samadi and his staff to anyone at anytime to have Robotic Prostatectomy.

8. Save This Page

9. Richard Cummings said,

on November 30th, 2007 at 6:53 pm

Dr. David Samadi saved my life. He operated on me for prostate cancer and I have been seeing him since for check ups. He is a magnificant sugeon and a credit to his profession. I would recommend that any man diagnosed with prosate cancer to see him at Mt. Sinai.

There is another aspect of Dr. Samdai I wish to mention. He is also a wonderful human being, filled with compassion. There is a profoundly spiritual aspect to him that contributes to his genius as a surgeon. His insights are amazing. He will be not only your surgeon, but your friend.

10. Save This Page

11. P. Banik said,

on December 2nd, 2007 at 6:30 pm

Dear Dr. Samadi,

Only a few week remain until my full recovery consequently, it is only fitting that I thank you for the manner in which you cared for me during my brief stay at the hospital.

Your professionalism,energy,enthusiasm,rigor,
    humor and friednliness were a benefit to my family and me, and a marvelous example for your students.

In the final analysis,it is physicians like you that make Mt. Sinai what it is.
    I hope you realize how thankful I am to have you as my doctor and my friend.
    Sincerely,

P. Banik

12. Save This Page

13. Saeed F. A. said,

on December 31st, 2007 at 1:54 am

Now, nearly 5.5 months after surgery, my two PSA test result is less than (

14. Save This Page

15. Saeed F. A. said,

on December 31st, 2007 at 1:55 am

Now, nearly 5.5 months after surgery, my two PSA test result is less than 0.01 and Many Thanks to You “Dr. David Samadi”.

For the patient that are out there and have been recently diagnosed with prostate cancer, I will recommend very strongly to give Dr. David Samadi a call now and consider him for their surgery.

16. Save This Page

17. Al T said,

on January 13th, 2008 at 5:13 pm

I am glad that I discovered Dr. Samadi because he showed true compassion with a sincerity that is hard to find in general,no less in medicine.
    My recovery time after surgery was phenomenal. I was able to take public transportation (and in New York that means the subwY) THE VERY NEXT DAY!
    Discussing this with other friends who had the the traditional prosectomy, not only was the recovery time was quicker and some of my friends has to store blood and/or take iron pills because of anticipated blood loss. This was not even an issue with the robotic. This shows how minimal is the blood loss.

Hie is great, a true human being and the procedure was easy.

18. Save This Page

19. Jessie said,

on February 4th, 2008 at 5:26 am

Jessie…

Truer word have never been uttered, indeed. Your point is sound and excellent. Thanks for sharing….

20. Save This Page

21. Dan Goldfarb said,

on February 11th, 2008 at 8:41 am

Well it has been 9 weeks since my operation. I have had no pain during this time, my energy has returned so quickly that I started playing singles in tennis after 6 or 7 weeks and my game isn’t better but it isn’t worse either, the staff as well as Dr. Samadi have been great. I feel well and others have said I look well, THANKS TO A GREAT DOCTOR AND STAFF, I HAVE NO CANCER.

22. Save This Page

23. Michael R said,

on May 6th, 2008 at 4:18 pm

Dear fellow prostate cancer patients,

To be sure, we all now know more than we ever wanted to know about prostate cancer. Needless to say, the wide range of treatment option choices make for a very difficult decision. Here’s my story. I’m an otherwise very healthy 72 year old diagnosed in December of 08. PSA – 8, Gleason – 8, large prostate (145 gms.) I saw two Radiation Oncologists and four Surgeons. A very thorough investigation, all in the NYC metropolitan area, all in very major hospitals, all Doctors with top reputations. I was initially in a quandary, mainly because I was generally told that surgery (my preference), given my age and prostate status, wasn’t the best option although one surgeon said he would do open surgery. Then I met David Samadi. He made his judgment based on my specifics and without any equivocation, said he would do robotic prostate surgery and felt that we would have good results. While the benefits of a robotic prostatectomy process should be evident, in the end you are putting yourself in the hands of a surgeon, not a technical process. And that is what counts. Not only did I feel good about him, but he exuded the confidence, wide ranging experience along with a great track record, that one looks for in a surgeon.

I had my surgery in the afternoon of March 2nd and was on my way home in the afternoon of March 3rd. My surgical experience, my surgical pathology report, my post surgical well-being, my ability to maintain continence since my catheter removal on March 10th, the overall treatment of me by Dr. Samadi and his staff, and last but not least, his skill as a surgeon, could not have been more positive. I could not have made a better choice! While all prostate conditions are not the same, I would unhesitatingly recommend Dr. David Samadi for a consultation, before you make a choice.

Good luck!
    Michael R

24. Save This Page

25. Avi said,

on June 20th, 2008 at 8:44 pm

I first met Dr. Samadi last December after learning of my diagnosis of prostate cancer. After searching the web for a surgeon qualified for the robotic surgery, I found Dr. Samadi’s experience to be the most comprehensive in this area.

During our first meeting he spent as much time as was needed to help my wife and me understand the procedure and follow-up care. We immediately felt a sense of trust in him.

Leading up to my surgery, Dr. Samadi helped ease my anxiety, and I was confident in his experience in this field. Post-operatively he visited me in the hospital to ensure that I was doing well and to further explain the details of the surgery.

During the two weeks that I spent at home after surgery, any questions and concerns that I had were answered immediately. Within a few months after surgery I was feeling back to myself and was able to enjoy my regular lifestyle as was promised by Dr. Samadi.

I feel very fortunate that Dr. Samadi was my surgeon for this specialized procedure.

Avi
    Long Island, NY

26. Save This Page

27. Robert Peters said,

on August 11th, 2008 at 10:08 am

Hi Everyone:

Dr. Samadi, Mount Sinai Medical Center, and Intuitive Surgical will be performing a live robotic surgery on OR Live August 13, 2008, at 5:00 pm ET. During the webcast, Dr. Samadi will discuss the benefits of a robotic-assisted prostatectomy as compared to open and laparoscopic surgical procedures Dr. Samadi will highlight his unique advanced surgical techniques while performing a da Vinci Prostatectomy using the latest technology–the 4-arm da Vinci S Surgical System with high-definition 3D vision. A live question and answer session with viewers is also part of the Webcast.

Click on this link on August 13, 2008, at 5pm ET to watch the procedure, http://www.or-live.com/daVinci/2269/

28. Save This Page

29. A Patient said,

on October 17th, 2008 at 2:43 pm

Dr Samadi is a genius. Hands of gold. Compassionate and accessible to me and my family anytime. All practicing physicians should learn some of his peaople skills as wells as his surgical skills. Brilliant surgeon and gentleman. Would recommend to anyone looking for a prostate cancer surgeon whether considering robotic, laporascopic or open surgery. He is tops in my book.

30. Save This Page

31. Michael N said,

on October 17th, 2008 at 5:44 pm

Hi Everyone!

Dr. Samadi saved my life, very attentive after surgery. available and accessible by phone, email. I have never met a person like this before much less a doctor that would talk to you at 10pm. very dedicated to his work

32. Save This Page

33. Domenico Luvera said,

on November 21st, 2008 at 10:01 am

Today, November 21st., 2008 is my 3rd. anniversary of my prostatectomy done by Dr. Samadi at NY Presbyterian Medical Center and I went for my last PSA results a couple of weeks ago with a result of (0.1) and from the beginning I had a full recovery in no time.
    Again, Dr. Samadi thanks for your knowledge, kindness and caring that together with your staff made this dream come true. So far, I’m free of Cancer.

34. Save This Page

35. jerome j russell said,

on December 9th, 2008 at 10:56 pm

12/09/08 I went for my 6 week follow up.There sat a middle aged man and his wife,in the exact seat
    i was in only a few weeks ago.I notice him filling out the same forms I had filled out on my first visit.I over heard him talking to his wife
    about having had 3 biopies then receiving news that he has prostate cancer. ( I thought to myself that old saying 3’s a charm…)
    His story sounded so much like my own.a few months earlier I had my 3rd biopsy performed.The last one provided the dreadful news no man wants to hear…. “you have prostate cancer”
    While God didnt give me BPH.(which by this time was what i was hoping for)He did lead me to a team of his very own Profession Angels Dr Samadi and his Staff.
    I met with Dr.Samadi – He said that I should loose some weight (concentrate on my abdomin)
    “yeaah I was a pot bellied mid aged man ,who carried my success in my mid section…lol)
    Dr Samadi assured me that if I did that.He would send me home cancer free.Needless to say when I got home I empied my cabinets and refrigerator of any and all foods.I even empied my pockets of double mint gum I had.yes by midnight I was star-
    ing and really hungry by the time the ink dried from the contract I just signed joining a gym.
    Two months and 30 lbs lighter I returned and was scheduled for surgery.
    Oct 29 2008 6am I arrived at hospital.Surgery was performed later that morning.I was released the following morning,in very little pain.Now I must say that I esp’d discomfort from foleys.
    but that is one very small price to pay.
    Now getting back to the guy in my old seat… I had to tell him and his wife I over heard them…(hell I am just nosey) I told him how similiar our stories were, and how I feel as if I can read his mind right now (I remember being in that seat).I touched a little on what he could expect.I let him know how wonderful the doctor and his team are.
    My friend who accompanied me to apptmt told me that this couple came to thank me for putting them at ease,and how much they appreciated my talk.I only hope 6 weeks from today this same gentleman does the same for the guy he’ll see sitting in that same old seat,me and him shared.
    Thanks just doesnt say enough Dr.Samadi so i’ll say Thanks and God Bless you all at MT SANAI

36. Save This Page

37. Michael R said,

on March 16th, 2009 at 7:43 pm

Dear fellow prostate cancer patients,
    To be sure, we all now know more than we ever wanted to know about prostate cancer. Needless to say, the wide range of treatment option choices make for a very difficult decision. Here’s my story. I’m an otherwise very healthy 72 year old diagnosed in December of 08. PSA – 8, Gleason – 8, large prostate (145 gms.) I saw two Radiation Oncologists and four Surgeons. A very thorough investigation, all in the NYC metropolitan area, all in very major hospitals, all Doctors with top reputations. I was initially in a quandary, mainly because I was generally told that surgery (my preference), given my age and prostate status, wasn’t the best option although one surgeon said he would do open surgery. Then I met David Samadi. He made his judgment based on my specifics and without any equivocation, said he would do robotic laproscopic surgery and felt that we would have good results. While the benefits of a robotic laproscopic process should be evident, in the end you are putting yourself in the hands of a surgeon, not a technical process. And that is what counts. Not only did I feel good about him, but he exuded the confidence, wide ranging experience along with a great track record, that one looks for in a surgeon.
    Good luck!